Serves 6After stirring in coconut milk, do not let the sauce boil or milk will separate.1 lb. small red potatoes, halved or quartered
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into ¾” strips
1 Tbsp. curry powder
3 tsp. veg. oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
¾ cup canned coconut milk
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
¼ cup dry roasted peanuts, choppedIn a medium saucepan, cover potatoes w/ slated water by 1”. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until fork-tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, toss chicken w/ curry powder and 1 tsp. salt. In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over med-high heat; cook cook half the chicken, turning often, until browned and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate, repeat with other half of chicken.
Reduce heat to med-low. Cooke garlic and pepper flakes in remaining 1 tsp. oil, about 1 min. In small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, tomato paste, and ¼ cup water. Pour into pan, add peas, and stir until liquid just begins to simmer.
Return chicken to pan along with cooked potatoes; toss until warmed through and coated with sauce, 1-2 minutes Serve topped with peanuts.
* 1/2 lb. mushrooms
* 1 large onion
* 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
* Salt to taste
* Chili to taste
* Wash and finely slice mushrooms.
* Slice onion fine.
* Heat oil and add turmeric and onions.
* Fry until soft.
* Add the sliced tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
* Add the mushrooms, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
* Remove cover and dry out all the water.
* Serve hot.
Vegetarian curry recipe
Recipe ingredients:* 4-6 portions cooked rice
* Dairy or soya natural yoghurt, to serve
* 175 g. / 6 oz. green lentils
* 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
* 1-3 tablespoons curry powder
* 1 red and 1 green pepper, stalk and seeds removed, chopped
* 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
* 2 x 400 g. / 14 oz. cans chopped tomatoes
* 1 heaped tablespoon tomato puree
* 300 ml. / 1/2 pint vegetable stock, make with a stock cube or bouillon powder
* 100 g. / 4 oz. frozen peas
* 3 tablespoons vegetarian pesto
* 175 g. / 6 oz. mushrooms, wiped and quartered
* 1 courgette, chopped
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Recipe method:* Place the green lentils in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them.
* Leave to soak for 30 minutes. Alternatively, buy a tin of pre soaked lentils. Drain.
* Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic together with the curry powder, until the onions are softening.
* Add the peppers, carrots and drained green lentils and cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
* Add the tomatoes, puree, stock, peas and pesto, bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
* Add the mushrooms and courgettes and simmer for 5 minutes more.
* Season to taste.
* Add a swirl of dairy or soya natural yogurt and serve with cooked rice.